Re: [tlug] Windows Japanese file name

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 17:16, David Oftedal wrote:

> >Is there any file manager I can use to view
> >these files correctly in Linux?
> >

> First of all, you CAN use kterm in SJIS mode (Middle-click and use the
> menu to enable it, I think), umm, but... It only works on the INPUT
> line, not the large output area. It's really weird.
>
> Or try LC_ALL=ja_JP.sjis LANG=ja_JP.sjis <gnome-terminal, konqueror, or
> whatever terminal/file manager you're using>
>
> This is probably your best bet, but let's say that the SJIS encoding
> isn't a priority on Linux. Most systems use EUC_JP or UTF-8.
>
> Alternatively, you could use Red Hat 8 with UTF-8 and convert the
> filenames manually to UTF-8 like I do. I mean, Windows has gotta convert
> to UTF-8 SOMEtime, right?
Samba will do the conversion automatically for you if you set.
        coding system = utf8
        client code page = 932
it is explained in the smb.conf man page.
from the manual

coding system  This parameter is used to determine how incoming
Shift-JIS Japanese characters are mapped from the incoming client code
page used by the client, into file names in the UNIX filesystem.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>