Re: [tlug] VPN appliance and network connection suggestions?

On Friday 14 March 2003 13:59, Sven Simon wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with eighter of these products?
> Suggestions? I expect some of you will praise Watchguard, since it's
> Linux based ;). One criteria would be how easy it is to hook up
> to those boxes from home using FreeS/WAN or Racoon (FreeBSD), but
> I'd assume it should work equally well with eighter. Just depends
> how good I am in configuring my box at home, right?
>
> All  this IPSec and tunneling stuff is still new to me and I'm in the
> progress of reading up on it, but if someone on the list has tried
> things out like this before, I'd be happy if  they could share their
> experience and tell me what to watch out for.

If you value security, maybe you should rent the main office firewall, or at
least pay someone to set it up and monitor it for you.  In that case you
should select the product that your service company  of trust can support /
recommends.

However, if you like to manage security yourself, why not do everything in
Linux?  With the named devices you will always need service contracts to
upgrade, etc ...

> First step, though, is getting a connection. In the states Cogent is
> offering 100Mbps fiber for a mere $1000/mo and that's with an SLA that
> guarantees 99.99% reliability. Is there something in this range
> available in Tokyo? At my old place, they used OCN, but at a price
> that would simply ruin us. Maybe I could do with a T3 connection, but
> I should be in the same price range like our US connection. What are
> other people using here?

NTT B-Flets offer 10M or 100M Fibre optics connection.  Not sure about
availability guarantees (probably none or minimal).  100M for business should
cost you around 60,000 Yen, If you get away with the family package, you
might only pay half of that (but then don't have a fixed IP).

Patrick