Re: [tlug] IT job in Tokyo

On Thursday 13 March 2003 17:02, Henning Peters wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> i am a guy from Germany seeking an IT job in Linux and
> open source environment in Tokyo. My japanese skills
> are not good, yet.
>
> Does someone knows interesting resources or job
> bulletins about IT job offerings for foreigners in
> Tokyo

My advice is to stay at home.  IT Jobmarket in Japan is as shite as everywhere
else in the world, with the difference that being unemployed in Tokyo is more
expensive than anywhere else...

If you want to come to Japan to be with your girlfriend - I guess that is what
drives most guys from Germany to work in Japan (including myself 5 years ago)
-, be prepared to adjust your career expectations downwards.  You'd be better
advised to finance her stay in Germany as it will be cheaper.

There are three basic routes for you:

a) work for a foreign company in Tokyo ...
but most foreign finance companies who where employing many foreign staff have
downsized or withdrawn from Tokyo

b)work for a Japanese Company ...
but you most likely need very good Japanese skills, will be working as a
virtual slave of the company (incredible hours and little pay)

c)start your own company ...
but you do not know the market well enough yet and don't know enough Japanese,
plus setting up requires some capital

You may be eligible for a grant by the EU, German Government or Private
organisations like Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft.  This gives you a chance to
get Japan experience, but with the helping hand of an organisation and a
(basic) grant. They often also do the matchmaking with the company for you.

good luck

Patrick