[tlug] Seeking Mozilla Japan Conference Panelist(s)

Hi,

Some on this mailing list may have heard that Mozilla Japan
(Mojira-gumi) is hosting the 4th Annual Mozilla Conference/Party in
Tokyo on April 19 (Sat), 2003. (See the notice on this page:
http://mozilla.gr.jp/)

I am attempting to put together a 1-hour panel discussion on "Deploying
Mozilla/Gecko in Enterprises and Organizations". Up to now there have
not been an organized effort to deploy Mozilla browser(s) in the
enterprise or organizational space. Since the release of Mozilla 1.0 in
May of 2002, however, it has become increasingly evident that some
Mozilla milestone versions are stable enough to be considered for a
large-scale deployment.

I would like to discuss issues that might arise in considering
Mozilla/Gecko browsers deployment in this new space. If you can read
Japanese, here is my detailed post to the moz-users mailing list:

http://www.mozilla.gr.jp/ml/logs/moz-users/5200/5250.html

(The user name and password are provided in the alert dialog. )

Possible topics for this panel include: 1) Are necessary security
protocols covered?, 2) Is the (XPI) Installer technology up to the
task?, 3) Are there must-features for this type of deployment missing
from Mozilla? (roaming, for example), 4) Is migration from earlier
versions working well enough for this?, 5)  Is there a good enough
customization tool for mass deployment?, 6) Does Mozilla Mail pass
enterprise/organizational requirements?, 7) Do we have sufficient
documentation on "Why Mozilla/Gecko?", etc.

As a backdrop for this, the Open Source approach is gaining ground in
world's governments -- see this page for the latest info (in Japanese):

http://oss.mri.co.jp/

I am seeking 2 to 3 people who can address at least one area of the
topics I listed above (and or other related areas of discussion).

Preferably a panelist will be able to speak in Japanese and take
questions in Japanese. But for someone with a great fit expect for the
language part, I would be happy to act as your interpreter. (For a
practical reason, one such person would be the limit for this panel -- I
don't know if we can find two truly competent interpreters for free!)

I don't pretend to have the answers to all these questions but would
like to share the discussions with the panelists and the audience and
hopefully make it an enlightening session for everyone including the press.

If you would like to participate as a panelist (and happen to be in
Tokyo on April 19), please write to Kat Momoi at:

momoi@example.com
nskatmomoi@example.com

and please include a brief statement on how you can help with this panel
discussion and what your specialty area is. Youcan also include your
additional thoughts on this topic we might consider for discussion. If
we have sufficient interests in this panel, I will bring forward the
names to the Mozilla Party organizers. I hope to make a decision one way
or the other within several days.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you,

- Katsu

--
Katsuhiko Momoi <momoi@example.com>
Senior International Manager, Web Standards/Embedding