Re: [tlug] MTA question...

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:52:46PM +0100, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The outfit hosting the mail for my LUG has an outgoing MTA which is not rDNS
> resolveable (no PTR record). Its IP addy is 195.114.88.7
>
> I pointed this out, saying that it could create problems with some domains,
> but they replied that there was no RFC which required the MTA to have a PTR
> entry.
>
> Is this true? If not, does anyone know off-hand which RFC requires it?

They are incorrect. 1912 states that every internet host should have a
DNS entry, and a valid reverse PTR.  Just because it doesn't specifically
say "Yo your mail servers count to" doesn't magically exclude them.  It
is pretty much besides the point though ain't it?  The reality that a lot
of people refuse mail if you don't have a valid reverse lookup should
certainly override any nit picking about what is or isn't in the RFCs.

--Matt