Re: [tlug] Sorry to Hijack a thread but whats wrong with LILO

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 01:31:06PM +0900, David Blomberg wrote:
> Mattsan,
>
> OKay time to show my ignorance but GRUB is a GNU project--GNU primary OS
> of interest is Linux (or HURD for a few) so the standard as defined by
> their primary OS of interest;)
>
> Linux Bias absolutely!!!!!

<off topic rant>
I disagree. The GNU project's primary interest is/was providing free software
to the masses, in both the speech and the beer sense of the word, that could
replace the largely proprietary unixes of the day.

Today there are many GNU projects that target to run on any platform
that will have them (emacs, gnome, gcc etc.). While it is true that
linux is probably the only kernel of real significance that uses the GPL
for its source code that does not mean that project itself is linux
focused.  GNU wants to be everybody's userland it just so happens that
a number of projects provide alternatives because of the viral nature of
the GPL code not because GNU is showing linux favoritism.

I assume you are mostly joking due to your smiley, but I just hate seeing
gnu, and linux too tightly coupled.
</off topic rant>

Back to subject at hand, surely you see the advantage of an agnostic
approach to a boot loaders hardware naming scheme?  It is just a sane
design decision to not follow the vagarities of one systems device
naming scheme.  It is the right thing to do(tm).

--Matt