Re: [tlug] Sorry to Hijack a thread but whats wrong with LILO

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:37:09PM +0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On 2/25/2003, "Martin Baehr" <mbaehr@example.com> wrote:
>

> Manually installing GRUB requires a careful read of the info page and
> learning a few things, but it's worth it b/c you'll never see boot sector
> borkage again.  Using a distro that installs GRUB by default means not even
> having to do that learning.  You just need to learn enough to edit the grub
> menu file, and that's easier than lilo.conf.

I have a page oriented towards the newcomer on Grub. It's a bit dated as
I haven't gone back and changed some things, but, FWIW it's at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/grub.html

Actually, once in awhile I've run into some issues with Grub. Gentoo's
was borked for a bit, though I think it's fixed now.  One of the 0.9x
ones was having trouble boot reiserfs--I believe it was a distro
included one, however, and I fixed that by either getting the source
from the Grub site or using another distro's version.

RH and Gentoo have a patch that enables a splash screen (don't know
about an animation, but I ~like~ my splash screen, I made it myself.)

Whining as usual

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I wish dating was like slaying. You know, simple, direct,
stake through the heart, no muss, no fuss.