Re: Fonts (Was: Re: [tlug] Linux and USB

>> From: Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>
>> Jim Breen wrote:
>> > Chuck, has RH 8 fixed the TTF rendering problem that seemed to erupt
>> > with 7.3?
>> I assume you are referring to the problem with the double-width display of
>> MS Arial Unicode?

That's the one. It's not just MS Arial either. The Cyberbit TTF has the
same problem.

>> I ended up simply removing the reference to that font from
>> the fonts.dir and never got around to trying it again after changing to RH
>> 8.

I didn't do that, because I was hoping that someone would find a fix.

>> Since Mozilla adequately renders all of the mixed international fonts in my
>> dictionaries at the HTML level, and TEI-Emacs fontifies everything when I am
>> working at the text level, I haven't had the need to go back and try MS Arial. But if you
>> would like, I can test it. I would need to be reminded of the procedure,
>> though.

I think you have to remake the fonts.dir with ttmkfdir.

>> From: Ulrich Plate <plate@example.com>
>>
>> Wooot! That happens in RedHat, too? I thought I was the idiot because I
>> keep getting this in Gentoo and have no idea how to get rid of it! It
>> would be a tremendous relief to me if someone had a solution for that,
>> Openoffice (and much worse, Nethack!) are completely unusable to me
>> because of it. Poking around XF86config and font directories without
>> having the slightest idea what I'm looking for didn't really help so
>> far...

AFAICT it arrived with a particular release of XFree86. There's been
a bit of muttering about it on discussion groups. I'm interested to know
if it has been fixed in later X releases.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298