[tlug] iptables rules disappearing ...

I'm finding that I can set iptables rules but that after about 30
seconds they disappear and I am left with three empty
INPUT/OUTPUT/FORWARD tables ...

# iptables -n -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
ACCEPT     tcp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          tcp dpt:53
ACCEPT     udp  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0          udp dpt:53

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

After about 30 seconds ....

# iptables -n -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
[root@example.com etc]#

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what is making my rules disappear like
that? I've even tried writting the rules to file with iptables-save and
then rebooting my machine. The rules show up fine after I reboot but
they also disappear after about 30 seconds.

Maybe I have installed iptables wrong or have some remnants of Red Hat
specific iptables stuff left lying around that is coming back to haunt me?

Any guesses?

Jc