Re: [tlug] Japanese encoding resources

Seems I confused two freds. Sorry, Brett. As a penance you can have the
Grand Pricks back. I'll mention it to Steve next time I see him.

Brett wrote:
>> Some people at work want to learn about Japanese encoding. My
>>personal experience is that a lot of the material available is very
>>hard to read, it is more like reading specifications than a tutorial.
>>Ken Lunde's book is extremely daunting and I most humbly suggest it isn't
>>that well written. After 3 or 4 years working with Japanese there is still
>>a lot I don't know.
>>
>> So I suspect I am going to have to write something myself unless I can
>>find something online. The stuff on Jim Breen's pages is also pretty tough
>>going.

I thought http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/coding_inf.html explained it
about as simply as it can be done. Ken's 10 year-old "japan.inf"
document (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japan.inf) is a bit
simpler than his book, bjut it still packs a lot of detail.

I don't think there are any other on-line descriptions around. Most seem
to refer back to these two or Ken's books. If you feel the need to write
more, I'd be interested in being a reviewer.  8-)}

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298