Re: [tlug] YahooBB Setup/Etc

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 00:02:28 +0900
Stephen Lee <sl@example.com> wrote:

> YahooBB does not do PPPoE, at least not in my experience.  The modem is
> not a router, only a switch.  Which means

I just did the setup on this the other day, first on DeadRat 8.0 and then on an IPCop router.
Both were easy, unless you're trying to use PPPoE, in which case it fails.
I did need to grab the latest IPCop (smoothwall fork) to get it to understand that it didn't need PPPoE, but installing and configuring that takes all of 10 minutes.  Basically set up the "Red" interface and don't touch the PPPoE settings and it connects and loads the firewall.  (The old version {0.96} would not load the firewall and forwarding rules until it received a success from PPPoE. The new one {1.2} fixes this.)

> 1) Your computer gets a global IP and is completely visible
>    from the internet,

Firewall time...

> 2) The MTU is larger (than when using PPPoE),
> 2) You are getting an IP from a YahooBB DHCP server, not your modem,
>    and hence
> 3) You can only get 1 IP address via DHCP (YahooBB configured their
>    server that way).

Makes sense.

> This may change if you get the newer modem with wireless LAN (I've only
> experienced their 8M service), you might get a router, but still I doubt
> they'd use PPPoE on the WAN interface even on that.

It's exactly as you described for the 12M service too.  No nasty surprises. No PPPoE.  (All ports seem to be available, too, even 25) Just do a simple DHCP config and you're on.
As for the wireless, it has a PCMCIA slot in the side for a wireless card.  I tried with a Corega card that I had from work and it did nothing.  I'd suspect, though, that since the box will give out just 1 IP, you can only use it with 1 computer.  Seems like a waste, but I guess they don't want your neighbors leeching your connection.

> Stephen

Cheers,
Jim