Re: [tlug] upgrde rpm

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:57:45PM +0900, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> > BTW, if you are looking for a way to automate some or all of
> > keeping your system up to date, check out http://www.autorpm.org/
> > or http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/  I've used
> > both, and am currently using autorpm on a number of systems.
>
> Do I need them if my redhat box is a server? It means that there are only
> few rpms installed on my system and I upgrade RPM when I found something
> new at http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/errata/ .

You don't *need* them, but I like the automation they add.  I
know they are constantly checking for updates even if I forget
to manually visit the Errata pages.

It is easy to configure autorpm to check multiple sources for
RPMs... so that if you have some critical RPMs from sources
other than Redhat, it can automate checking for updates in
those additional places.  And different update sources can be
handled differently... just downloading them, checking their
signatures, and mailing you that they are available in some
cases, and immediately installing in other cases.

autorpm also makes it easy to have one machine download and
verify the updates, and then have other local servers update
from that pool of RPMs.

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/