Re: [tlug] eth0 not coming up ...

Josh Glover wrote:

> 1) ls /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/drivers/net/
> 2) Locate the driver for your card here (try eepro100 if you do not know)
> 3) Become root:
> 4) modprobe eepro100

Ok. That answers my question on how to find out if the module still
exists and how to install it :) You were right in guessing it was an
eepro100

> 5) tail /var/log/kern   # look for notices about drivers claiming devices

No such file but did find some lines in /var/log/messages

> 6) ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up
> 7) ifconfig   # do you see eth0 now?

Yup, card was up and happy!

Now, how do I get the kernel to automatically load the module? I though
at boot it did a modprobe and loaded what was needed but in my case it
doesn't realize I want it to load the ethernet driver ...

Thanks!

Jc