[tlug] UTF-8 for single-byte character sets

Hi there,

I belong to several French language linux-related mailing lists, and one or
two list members are being extremely obstinate in using UTF-8 to code French
characters whereas everything we need is in the ISO-8859-15 set.

The mailer I use is Sylpheed, which doesn't understand UTF-8, so I get a
load of BS in the middle of a word whenever an accent is used.

Am I right in insisting that there's no point in using UTF-8 for what can be
perfectly well coded in a single-byte character set, or am I lagging behind
the times? The people who post in UTF-8 insist that it's the way to go and
that I'm stuck in the 18th century along with all the others who can't
decode what they're sending.

Your opinions?

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6