[tlug] Re: Japanese in Slackware (8.x or 9.0)

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> Then explain this! ;)
>
> `locale` gives me the following output:
[...]
> Setting LANGUAGE gives me menus appropriately (not always Japanese !).

But only for programs that honor the LANGUAGE environment variable.
Also, the real reason for the existance of LANGUAGE is that there you
can specify multiple fallbacks. I.e. you can use
LANGUAGE="de:en:ja"
which means "I want german translations, if they don't exist give me
english and if that is not available either, give me japanese".
However, if you don't need that fallback functionality, there is no
reason to prefer LANGUAGE over LC_MESSAGES.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits