Re: [tlug] Japanese in Slackware (8.x or 9.0)

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:36:04AM +0000, Tim Hurman wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> > Called rxvt with my usual langx script, the XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
> > LC_CTYPE=ja_JP ${1+"$@"} using rxvt as the argument. Tried with mlterm
> > as well.  Tried the version suggested for FreeBSD (that works with
> > FreeBSD, XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2' LANG=ja_JP ${1+"$@"}  Tried setting
> > the XMODIFIERS in my .Xdefaults.
> >
> > When I call rxvt with the langx script, I get a message that setting
> > locale failed. Searching for that error on google brought me many hits
> > on programming, but nothing that seemed related.

Tim's excellent post gave me the answer. It turned out to be quite
simple. Changing LC_CTYPE to LC_ALL enabled me to do it in my usual
fashion, with English menus and Japanese input.

> I have Japanese input working well on slackware, my setup is thus:

<Again, much useful information snipped>

>         LC_ALL=ja_JP LANG=ja_JP /usr/X11R6/bin/kinput2 -canna &
> fi

Thanks to Tim, I will shortly be adding a section on my Japanese input
page about Slackware.   Tim I plan to mention you by name, please let
me know if that's a problem.

> now to enter Japanese (I dont know if rxvt will understand things properly)

It did. :)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anyanka: You trusting fool. How do you know the other world is
any better than this?
Giles: Because it has to be.