Re: [tlug] Re: Japanese in Slackware (8.x or 9.0)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> Tobias Diedrich wrote:
>
> > If LC_ALL=ja_JP gives you English menus, something is quite borken...
> > LC_ALL=ja_JP means you override the LC_* values and treat them as if
>
> Then explain this! ;)
>
> `locale` gives me the following output:
>  LANG=ja_JP
>  LC_CTYPE="ja_JP"
>  LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP"
>  LC_TIME="ja_JP"
>  LC_COLLATE="ja_JP"
>  LC_MONETARY="ja_JP"
>  LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP"
>  LC_PAPER="ja_JP"
>  LC_NAME="ja_JP"
>  LC_ADDRESS="ja_JP"
>  LC_TELEPHONE="ja_JP"
>  LC_MEASUREMENT="ja_JP"
>  LC_IDENTIFICATION="ja_JP"
>  LC_ALL=ja_JP
>
> Setting LANGUAGE gives me menus appropriately (not always Japanese !).

LC_ALL will set the menus to Japanese *if* there are Japanese menus
installed. For example if you try setting LC_ALL with abiword you get
Japanese menus, however with Mozilla, unless you install the extra menus,
you get English menus.

You can also note with Mozilla, that the file chooser shows dates with
kanji. It just depends on what you like however, I prefer to set LC_ALL
because then there is not intermix of locales and no possible confusion,
for instance I usually live in:

LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8

I am not terribly bothered about menus and dates in Japanese (after all
it's good practice ;-)  and I usually remember where specific menu options
are anyway.

Tim.

--
"ergo it is easier to drag sheep downhill" - Applied Ergonomics Magasine
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.