Re: [tlug] [REMINDER] "Defending the Creative Commons"

Matt Doughty wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 03:14:05PM +0900, simon colston wrote:
>
>>All I objected to was the suggestion that 'we rely on a commonality for
>>understanding' was 'not true at all' but it obvious that you don't think
>>that.
>

> Ah yes, I'm guilty of hyberbole yet again. ;)
> I didn't mean to imply that their is no need for commonality.
>

>>Re-read what I posted and you'll see that you are living in the same world
>>as me.  I'm not saying that people should refrain from using
>>words in new ways.  I explicitly stated that the evolution of language is
>>necessary and, of course, the only way that can happen is by someone
>>somewhere creating a new definition for a word whether by design or
>>accident.  The problem is that by using a new meaning the speaker
>>increases the chance of being misunderstood.
>>

> I read what you said to mean "yes language does evolve, but you really shouldn't
> use words in new ways if you want to be understood".  I took this to mean you
> viewed such new usage as a inherently bad thing. It seems that we are in
> basic agreement that it is necessary evil, but the speaker should be aware of
> the dangers of such redefinitions. Glad to see we live in the same universe. ;)
>
> --Matt

To add my two yennies: I grew up pretty much self-educated. I had a killer
vocabulary (now rendered completely useless by alchohol) that stemmed only
from the books I'd read. My writing was superb: lucid, well-thought out,
and satisfying to simply read. Poetic. But when I spoke, not a single
person understood me. Why? I couldn't pronounce half the words that I
knew so well.

So, I learned how to pronounce half the words I knew, and replaced the
rest with expletives. ;)

Your homework assignment is this: repeat the word "leisure suit" to your
self mantra-style. Notice anything strange that occurs from this.

Do the same with the word "rural".

Lemme know how it goes :)
-christian