[tlug] SSH.com question

Sort of an open-source/GPL/licensing question ... wondering if anyone
here has any insights into this ...

I use the windows version of SSH.com's SSH client. It's free for
non-commercial use. I wanted to try out the japanese version, but found
out that the license is different. You get a 30 trial period and then
have to pay.

Does anyone know how they (SSH.com) can get away with charging for the
same thing but in a different language? (They also have a German version
and that one seems to be free, but I am not sure).

I was also under the impression that the product *had* to be free since
it was originally (way back when) under some sort of GPL license ... Am
I wrong about this?

If there is a GPL-like license that applies I would think something
fishy is going on ...

Or maybe it's just public pressure/good PR for the english market and
they don't care so much about PR in Japan?

Any insights appreciated!

Jc