Re: [tlug] HexaMedia reader not working; PEBKAC?

> USB support
> usbdevfs support
> UHCI alternate diver support (I have a VIA chipset, this should be right)
> USB mass storage support
> Michrotech and Sandisk support (clutching at straws)
> SCSI disk support
> SCSI generic support
> MSDOS FAT and VFAT support
> MSDOS partition tables support (probably not necessary)

You have here more than you need ... are you compiling this as modules ?

> The device is definitely getting recognized: /proc/bus/usb/devices has,
> among other things, the following lines:

mmmm, and the media too ...but ,,,,

> sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
> sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
> Current sd00:00: sns = 70  2
> ASC=3a ASCQ= 0
> Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x3a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
> /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> unable to read partition table
> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
> USB Mass Storage device found at 2

Dude, it looks like the media has some problem ...

> /dev/sda has automagically showed up, but fdisk is unable to open it,
> and "mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/other" gives me "mount: No medium found".
> But I do definitely have media in there: SmartMedia cards with pictures
> that my Fuji digital camera can see.

So, this is the only scsi device on this machine ..

> Is there some driver or module that I've forgotten to compile in?  What
> kernel options and such have those of you who got the reader working used?
> Thanks in advance for your help; and my apologies if I've posted way more
> information than necessary.

what is the brand of the media ? did you try other ?

//mauro//