Re: [tlug] Washer

Quoth Thomas Kruemmer (Sat 2002-11-30 11:53:01PM +0900):

> On 30/11/2002 at 23:29 Mike Gauthier wrote:
> >
> >Try 'rm'.
>
> Oh, errh, yes, great, thank you, that helps. I had expected someone coming
> up with fdisk and format, but I am glad that you came up with a more
> innovative idea.

format? Oh, you didn't mention that you were using Solaris...

When you ask a question like "where can I find the Linux equivalent of this
great Windows program, foo, which does bar?", you may be surprised by the
answer. Or lack thereof.

Unix ain't Windoze, and Linux is a flavour of Unix. Expect that some things
that you do in the Windoze world simply aren't applicable to Unix. Unix has
no registry, and no hidden global cache directories. You wanna kill your
web cache, it is as simple as:

for i in .mozilla/<username>/*; do
  rm -rf $i/Cache/*
  rm $i/*history*
  rm $i/cookies.txt
done

Or, if you use Galeon:

rm -rf .galeon/mozilla/galeon/Cache/*
rm .galeon/mozilla/galeon/*history*
rm .galeon/mozilla/galeon/cookies.txt

In short, look through the dotfiles in your home directory and kill
anything that you don't want hanging around.

You wanna automate that? Write a shell script. Toss it in a crontab. Voila.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967