Re: [tlug] Recommended keitai or PDA?

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:42:03PM -0500, dboudrea@example.com wrote:

> I will be moving to Yokohama soon, and with all the great info on the list now
> about digital cameras, surely I could get some advice or recommendations for a
> PDA or a keitai?

Yes.

> Who uses a PDA (something like a Palm Pilot) all of the time and really feels
> they need it?  I'm trying to determine whether or not it would be worth it to
> purchase one or not.  There are many times when I don't feel it's worth it to
> boot up my pc but I think I've been getting along ok with my "analog" PDA method
> (a small notepad and pen to write things down).  For those that use their PDAs
> to schedule tasks and for calendaring, does it really save you time, what are
> your thoughts?  What are the best things about them, best features etc?

I recently thought up a number of excuses and got an iPaq (which is now
running Linux). To be honest, whatever Im using it for could be done
equally well on the desktop and its not something I really need, but it
helps and is cool to have.

The 2 things I find it very useful for are the calendaring and task
scheduling you mentioned. This may get better once it has a wireless
internet connection.  I also dont need to carry a bag around all the
time just for my laptop.

On the downside, one of my reasons was learning Japanese, but realised
later that there arent many good Kanji learning programs for Linux. Ended
up buying a separate electronic dictionary just for that.

> I have similar questions about getting a keitai.  These days, aren't keitais
> becomming more "PDA-like" in their feature set?  It'd be cool to have a handheld
> device that could do email, maybe surf the web, find out a train schedule, and
> just for kicks do voice as well, hopefully without giving me cancer (but with
> all the other keitais that will be around me in the Tokyo area maybe that would
> happen anyways).

Current keitai's do have more features than anyone needs, but the one
thing I find really irritating about them is the input method. Why press
3 buttons per character when 1 stylus tap will do?

The cancer thing? Ive heard contradicting theories on it and wouldnt
worry too much about it.

> Also I still need to settle on actually finding a place.  I've been searching
> Chintai (Able monthly book), went to a fudo-san agent, and the web, but if
> anyone knows a good place on or near the Sotetsu line please let me know!

Sorry cant help you there.

- --
A. Sajjad Zaidi
http://www.sajjadzaidi.com/
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 267E0D0E