Re: [tlug] video4linux USB camera choice?

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 12:27:31PM +0900, Bruno Raoult wrote:
>
> > I plan to try to have some video-conference with my family
> > in France. I think gnomemeeting should be ok with Windows
> > & MacOS software - at least google told me that :-)
>
> Hi Bruno,
>
> I havent tried gnomemeeting since it requires Gnome2, but it does
> sound promising. Might give it a try after I upgrade my home machine.
>
> > I would like to know which camera (USB is better) can be
> > easily found in Akihabara, and is compatible with video4linux.
> > Did someone already managed to have videoconf (audio/video)
> > between these 3 OSes? (Linux/MacOS X/Windows). If yes, was it
> > with gnomemeeting?
>
> I bought a Creative Webcam a few months back which worked out of the box
> on a RH7.2 system. I used Xawtv as the client and it worked perfectly,
> although couldnt find a usable video conferencing client at that time.
>
> Let us know how GnomeMeeting turns out.

I bought a Creative (USB) camera, and it seems to work well, with
xwatv & gnomemeeting.
I tried to view some other gnomemeeting cameras, with no success.
If someone wants to make a try, I would like to be sure my cam can be
seen with gnomemeeting, and that I can see remote ones. Any volonteer?

br.

PS. But for the cam, I need to use modprobe, I don't know how to make
the module to load automatically. FYI, here is my modules.conf webcam
section:

# pwcx module for webcam (br, 11/18/02)
alias video0 pwc size=sif fps=10 power_save=1
post-install pwc /sbin/insmod --force /etc/hotplug/usb/pwcx-gcc32.o
>/dev/null 2>&1  || :

Apparently there is a problem with the "hotplug" boot sequence: The cam
is "on" after boot (led), but the module is not loaded. If I load it
manually, the cam goes on and off successfully when I start/stop
applications (xawtv/gnomemeeting). Any clue on this? (I use Suse 8.1).

--
GPG Key: 653514E5 (http://www.raoult.com/gpg)