Re: [tlug] Apache Help ^_^

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:20:59 -0800 (PST), eric dilsion
<eric_dilsion@example.com> wrote to tlug@example.com:

> I'm a new to this group and also newbie in linux world.

And also new to mailing lists in general, I'd say.

Rather than hijack the "Byrne Baby" thread, change the subject and type your
message, it would have been preferable for you to start your own thread.
That's what the "New Message" button is for in your mailer (assuming you're
using a GUI mailer, which is, I think, a pretty safe assumption).

> May I ask a few question.

Sure, of course. That's what this place is for - as long as you've done your
homework first.

> 1..Would it be possible to run apache as standalone
> server (without DNS server)?

Of course. Apache doesn't need DNS at all AFAIK. It either binds to a
virtual interface, in which case it knows its own IP#, or it differentiates
virtual domains based on their hostname. Either way round, it's the client's
DNS service which does the resolving.

> 2..Where should I replace IP address of my network, if
> I want someone to access my server from outside?

Do you have a fixed public IP#? If so, get your own domain name and point
the A record to your IP#.

If not, go and take a look at www.dyndns.org.

> 3..Where can I get simple "httpd.conf" file ? The
> default http.conf file have a lot of option which I
> don't understand.

The basic httpd.conf file requires little tweaking in fact. I suggest you
look at the manual installed with apache in order to get better acquainted
with all the options.

http://localhost/manual/

> 4..Which book do you recommand to read for a begineer?
> I read " Sam's Teach yourself Apache-2 in 24 hrs " and
> did't get sence much.

Someone else might have a more constructive comment than mine, which is
"you're reading the wrong book!".

You're using an Apache 1.3.x and you have a book on Apache 2...

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly
is another theory which states that this has already happened.