Re: [tlug] suicide is painless, but choosing a Linux distribution...

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:05:37PM +0900, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> Thinking of migrating from RH (7.1) after a bit.
> Something that makes multilingual processing easy
> (even pleasurable?) would be great. Leaning towards
> Mandrake? Suse?

I'm not sure what you mean by "multilingual processing." But anyway, I'm
finding Debian 3.0 quite nice for working with Japanese text in an
English environment. Several applications seem to work out of the box
that I've always had to struggle with before--in particular,
Ghostscript: I could never get it to print Japanese under Debian Potato;
now it just works.

Locale support is also vastly improved over any distribution I've used
before. You write a simple config file to specify the locales you want,
then run ... I think it's 'localegen,' and you're all set.

mgushee@example.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)