Re: [tlug] locale issues

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 06:33:07PM +0900, Eric O. Flores wrote:

> I've done locale changes several times thinking I got it fix but then
> it locks out my normal user account then I have to fall back to the
> above settings.  The locks means when trying to log in as normal user
> into KDE it tries but returns to the log in screen.

I really don't know, but if guesses are any help, here's what occurs to
me:

 1) Maybe the characters in your user name or password are being misread
    by the system. That seems unlikely, and I'm not sure how or if it
    could happen, but it might be worth considering if none of the
    obvious answers work out.

 2) Maybe you are specifying an invalid locale--either because of
    misspellings in your configuration, or because the locale isn't
    configured on your system. I don't know how that works on Mandrake,
    but on Debian I know you don't get any locale set up unless you ask
    for it, either at installation time or later.

A couple of things to think about:

When your login fails, does it fail in exactly the same way as if you
entered an invalid username or password? Or is something different?

You can usually set locales on a per-application basis. Mozilla, for
example, is usually started by a shell script, so you can just add your
locale stuff to that script. Depending on how much you use Japanese,
that might work as a permanent solution; if not, it will still help you
to tell whether your KDE problem is really a KDE problem, or if it's
system-wide.

mgushee@example.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.