Re: [tlug] longest uptime boxes

(If this is a dupe, gomen ne - just sent it from the wrong acct...)

I've been pretty happy with the kernel I'm running. 2.4.2 - very stable on my hardware.  I upgraded a lot of stuff over the last year or two, with the exception of the kernel, after a while in part to not have to reboot...

That's why I say it's dangerous to look at uptime - if you don't know how to install the latest updates without rebooting, your uptime might be holding you back from being totally secure.  Often the perception is that a box with long uptime is either doing nothing or running at risk - Mine's been neither, I hope...

That box just got 2 120GB drives added - I had a 60GB on a promise controller before and a 10GB as the '/' partition - I'm not completely happy with the partitioning quite yet, so the box is running without a cover in my living room for now.  I may yank that 10GB and replace it with a similar one with a newer kernel, just to see what the differences are.  I don't need any added hardware support, so it may be that I am best with what I have.

Not too bad for a PC I found on the curb... ;-)

Jim

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:14:44 +0900 (JST)
Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung@example.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Jim O'Connell wrote:
>
> > Uptime is a dangerous addiction that is best avoided.
>
> so why?
>
> > If you feel you are getting hooked on looking at your uptime stats, reboot *now* - the top sites are never going down - you'll never be #1 at netcraft, so just put it out of your mind.
> >

> It seems that you are running redhat 7.1 and your web server is
> apache 1.3.19. And you have not been rebooting your machine for more than
> one year, so your kernel 2.4.9.
>  ;)
>
> This is one of the reason why I dislike linux ;):
> When we upgrade kernel, we have to reboot to active new kernel. Of cource,
> big company like a bank cant reboot their server ;)
>
>  > You'll sleep better
> - trust me.
> > Cheers,
> > Jim (who just rebooted his linux box after 423 days of flawless uptime to add some hard drives.  )
> > ;-)
> >
> > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=mmdc.dyndns.org&submit=Examine
> >

> you should upgrade your software first, Jim
>
> Vu Hung

> |            Nguyen Vu Hung( vuhung@example.com )              |
> | The University of Electro-Communications, Tokyo, Japan   |
> | Takeshi's small space   http://site.techviet.com/vuhung/ |
> | Join KDE-i18n-Vi?       http://vi.i18n.kde.org/          |
> | VYSA                    http://vysasports.vngate.net/    |
> | Vn Linux Users Group    http://vietlug.sourceforge.net/  |
> | Tokyo Linux Users Group http://www.tlug.gr.jp/           |

> please see instructions at
> http://www.tlug.jp/list.html

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support
jim at global-dining dot co dot jp
Key fingerprint = 8EE8 44E0 320A 4718 C76B  AD5F 91EB B996 EB45 F83B
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB45F83B