Re: [tlug] Japan Times Article on Linux

Quoth Matt Gushee (Fri 2002-10-25 09:10:36PM -0600):

> On the other hand, Microsoft is getting increasingly fascistic and
> greedy with their licensing policies. I don't know how that plays in
> Japan, but over on this side of the pond a lot of people are very uneasy
> about that ... though I imagine only a few will dare to leave the herd.

Along the same lines, privacy concerns that have long been voiced only
by the crazed minority (i.e. most of us) in MS's licensing have now
started to be a big issue for US gov't agencies. After all, how can you
allow a software company access (BWO Windows Update nado) to a machine
that stores classified data. Do you just trust that they will only
access the registry? I think not.

> Well, when you get right down to it, a user-friendly system is whatever
> you're used to.

I have never heard it put that way before, but, IMO, truer words have ne'er
been uttered!

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.
http://www.incogen.com/

GPG keyID 0x62386967 (7479 1A7A 46E6 041D 67AE  2546 A867 DBB1 6238 6967)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 62386967