Re: [tlug] Google; Twilight Tar

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 13:22, Tony Laszlo wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2002, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
>
> > find . -name \*.sas |xargs tar czfv ltest.tar.gz > ltest.log
>
> > Is there a logical explanation for this, or am I living in the twilight
> > zone?
>
> This worked for me.
>
> to see if it makes a difference you might try:
> a)
> tar czfv ltest.tar.gz `find . -name \*somestring` > ltest.log

Wow. This works. Weird. Why shouldn't the other form work, though?

> b)
> try some different files on a different server, with different
> permissions, etc.

The files are on a Sun 5.7 machine, and mounted by nfs on my Linux box.
I got the same results if I ran the command directly on the Sun or on my
Linux machine. Go figure.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu@example.com
University of Chicago -=- CCSR