[tlug] easy ways to learn linux easily and quickly

I have been trying to use linux for a long time and have attempted sometimes a
bit half heartedly several ways of getting more linux power, e.g. Basic Linux
Tutorial, Buying a Text book, looking at the on line resources, posting
questions to news groups etc. I have not stuck with many of these. It is
interesting to me why I give up on them. I don't know but it is because of
something like this:

I want to go from a to z in linux.
I try.
I fail because before I can go to z I have to do m.
So I try and do m.
I fail, because, before I can do m I have to do h.
I try h.
I fail, because before I can do h I have to do d

I think you get the picture.
It is not simply that though. If I try and go through a book I encounter
different problems. eg, the distro and the book don't match, or I end up with
a screen different from the book.

Anyway, what I would like to hear is ways to get big improvements but I am a
bit faint hearted. I don't want to attempt difficult things yet. Once I am
able to do some easy things I might want to try something a bit tougher.

Please give me a clue! I am not able to do much.

neil macphee