Re: [tlug] Printing Japanese

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 11:58, Ulrich Plate wrote:

> In my case, that was the sound of acroread printing
> Japanese via /usr/bin/lpr this morning. But it's not only PDF
> files I'm having problems with, none of my applications
> seem to be able to print Japanese, not KMail, not Sylpheed,
> not Mozilla (none of which have any trouble displaying
> Japanese, needless to say). I have an HP DeskJet 720C,
> comfortably covered by the pnm2ppa driver/executable, I've
> used foomatic to generate every PPD et al. config file
> imaginable, and last but not least I do have a CUPS
> installation in mint condition that does beautiful test
> printouts and a perfect job on anything other than Japanese -
> German and French, for example are being tolerated quite
> effortlessly.

I have a similar situation here. Do you get little boxes
where the Japanese characters should be? I do, and that
suggests to me that the printer is unable to find the fonts
it needs. Now, that seems a little odd to me: according to
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/printing.html, "If
you have a PostScript printer which contains Japanese
fonts, you can send Japanese PostScript files directly
to the printer." Since I bought this printer in Japan,
and it has a Japanese interface, I would presume that it
contains Japanese fonts...

Ryan