Re: [tlug] PPPoE / Linksys BEFSR41

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:20:07PM +0900, Stephen Lee wrote:

>http://www.planex.co.jp/product/broadlanner/brl04fb.shtml
>http://www.planex.co.jp/product/broadlanner/brl04fm.shtml

I've seen so much Planex (formerly known as Planet; I bet they
changed their name to beat their bad rep) go belly-up that I
wouldn't want to take a chance on it.  Last weekend in
Akiba I saw a Planex gigabit ether switch.  That was just
plain scary.  I don't know if they build better stuff now than
they used to, but I wouldn't be comfortable installing it on
any network I cared about.  At my former employer, there is
a flat-out ban on Planex gear.

Netscreen makes some really nice router-firewall boxes.
Check them out at http://www.netscreen.com.  They are available
in Japan at least at Plat'home and probably some other places.

They aren't inexpensive, but they give you a stateful firewall with
a nice interface and are quite good.  The 5-XT will firewall at
70 mbps or VPN at 20.  70 is probably a reasonable figure for throughput
on a B-FLET'S line, so it's a reasonably good match.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF