Re: [tlug] Re: Networking problem

>From: Stephen Lee <sl@example.com>
>
>Is it possible to ask "those people" to bring two properly configured
>(according to them) laptops to your site, attach them directly to the
>uplinks "they" provided, and check the speed?

Good idea. But if it's an autonegotiation problem they might not see it if
their laptops happen to autonegotiate properly, no?

>I assume you have no access to the router on the far end, otherwise you
>can check what the far end router thinks the line speed/duplex is.

*I* have no access but I can always ask them to have a look and let me know
what speed their l# switch thinks my machines are at (10 or 100).

>I'd suggest you try fixing a machine on the 'A' subnet to 100M/half
>duplex, autonegotiation off and directly attaching it to the uplink,
>then check if the speed changes.  Then try 100M/full, auto off.  If
>neither talks at all then the far end might have been
>misconfigured/misdetected as 10Mbps.

Thanks, that's a great idea. I wouldn't have though of doing that.

>If 100M/half gets you good speed then again
>misconfiguration/misdetection on the far end.

Ok. I'll do that and see what happens. Hope this ferrets out the problem!

Now why does the DC have to be so far ...

Thanks again!

Jc