[tlug] Re: Notebook Question

Jim Breen writes:

> - looking at the "brandname" models I see that there are equivalent
> systems from Compaq, Toshiba and IBM. (256M, 20Gb, etc.)  Does
> anyone have any comments on the suitability, ease of installation, etc.
> for Linux (e.g. RH7.3)?
>
> - some come with XP. I think I need to leave a basic Win partition
> as laptops seem to need various config utilities installed there. Does
> anyone have useful experience to share about shrinking the partition
> with XP?

I like Sony notebooks. I used PCG-Z505NR before, now I'm
using PCG-Z505CR/K
I tried Linux(Debian and Gentoo), FreeBSD(4.5 and 4.6) and
OpenBSD(3.1) on them - successfully.

== Details ==:
* Video: Z505NR was with NeoMagic chipset, now Z505CR/K is
with ATI Mach64. XFree86 v4 support both of them very well.
I drive them with 1024x768 24 bpp.
* USB - USB floppy and USB mouse working
* Sound - for both models -- Yamaha YMF7xxx module
* Network - up and running -- eepro100 module

The most of problems are with initial install and specially with
PCGA-CD51/A CD-ROM device. It seems there is two models of them.
With one of them there is no problems. With other one - sometime
impossible to make installation.

 --
Big0                                  ISBN: 0060256575
gpg  --keyserver  pgp.mit.edu   --recv-keys 0xBE40FF3E