Re: [tlug] Networking gear

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:10:08AM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On 9/9/2002, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>
> >I am leaning towards either NetGear or LinkSys (the FS608 or FS116
> >from the former or the EZXS16W or EZXS88W from the latter), but I am
> >open to suggestions.

At work, we've had better luck with Netgear--some of the cheap
Linksys switches we bought last year were pretty poor--among
other things, if you used the uplink port, you couldn't use the
next port, so a five port switch became a 3 port one.  Not to
mention if I worked on a box at my desk, plugged into one, then
took it to another floor on the same subnet, it wouldn't get an
address for about 4 hours.  :)

I believe some of this has changed--most of the cheap switches we
buy now seem to have autosensing of whether to use a port as an
uplink or not, and it seems to work.

As for WAPs, we (that is Naoko and I, not work, no wireless at
work) have the Linksys WAP 11 (plugged into a hub that goes to
the wired network, and no troubles with it, neither with her
Win9x laptop before the burglars came or her Mac AirPort card
afterwards.

--
Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
(1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Angel: I've been around death before. A lot. I've lost
people. I've killed people...
Cordelia: And you are dead.