Re: [tlug] KMail and kinput2

Sam Tilders wrote:

>Does the mention of kmail below mean that you actually got it to work?

Yes.

>If so would you mind if I had a look at your Kinput2 and Kmail X app-defaults
>files and an "env" so I can see if I can make it work too?

Since the Kinput2 X app-defaults file is a bit long, I'll send to you
directly. I can't find that file for Kmail. Do you know where it is located?

>Also what version of KDE are you using?

I am using version 3.0.0, which is included in the SuSE8.0 delivery. (I
prefer not to use kmail and konqueror as they tend to make my computer
hang, but that is probably just this particular version). In your first
mail you said you used KDE 2.2. I don't know if that makes any
difference. My Kmail version is 1.4. Version difference may be the
explanation (or it may not).

In the first mail, you also said that you could write japanese in kterm.
Based on that fact, it should be easy to do that for other applications
as well.

Did you try starting kmail as I described in my previous mail, i.e.
setting LANG and then start kmail? I noticed that kterm could write
japanese although LANG was set to en_GB, whereas kmail required LANG=ja_JP.

 From the env command, the following relevant variables are set:
LANG=en_GB
XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2

XMODIFIERS is set in my .xim file in my home directory.

The ps -ef command gioves the following relevant processes running:

anders@example.com:~> ps -ef
UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
wnn        345     1  0 09:29 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cannaserver
anders     908   874  0 09:29 ?        00:00:00 kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna

personally, I prefer to use nicolatter and wnn instead of kinput2 and
canna programs for two reasons:
* I can choose how to switch from english to japanese input. With canna,
the switch is set to Shift-space, and I have a tendency to have the
Shift key pressed unintentionally when I type.
* I can use a japanese keyboard and input via hiragana instead of input
via romaji, but I know most people prefer romaji.

Cheers
Anders