Re: [tlug] Apache: Logging: how-to pipe logs or logtoanothermachine(was Disk

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 16:29, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> But "bug" though is that that if apache is shutdown or restarted the gzip
> buffer does not write itself to file ... Not a good thing.

This is *always* a problem with pipes & standard IO. Syslog, for
instance, makes a "flush" after each line to avoid this problem.
Standard apache logging too.
Don't forget also that this BUFSIZ is used everywhere you have stdio.
For instance with:
	cat toto | gzip > foo
you get a BUFSIZ in the pipe (write *AND* read) and in the file I/O...
My guess is that cat input costs 1 BUFSIZ, the pipe itself costs
2*BUFSIZ, and the output redirection costs one more.

Total in this case could be 4*BUFSIZ unwritten data, ie 32Kb on my
system. Someone could confirm this?

br.

--
GPG Key: 653514E5 (http://www.raoult.com/gpg)