Re: [tlug] Apache: Logging: how-to pipe logs or log toanothermachine(was Disk

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Josh Glover wrote:

> Quoth Jean-Christian Imbeault (Wed 2002-09-04 10:34:36PM +0900):
> > >From: Bruno Raoult <br@example.com>
> > >
> > >Sorry fot this dirty solution, but if LAN is fine, and your
> > >servers secured enough (!!), why not NFS for your log files?
> >
> > Because NFS is dirty :) I've never done NFS and from what little I've heard
> > about it I think I want to stay away from it ...
>
> You are a wise man. According to me (a well-known network expert ;),
> NFS is only appropriate in a very well secured network.
>
> If you are root on a machine to which NFS filesystems are exported,
> you can exploit the shitty security design of NFS.
>
> > But maybe everything I have been hearing about NFS is not true and it
> > really is a good thing? (not)
>
> Nope. Please, use AFS.

I noticed someone mentioned using syslog earlier. Have you tried setting
this up and then using the remote logging feature of syslog. If you are
feeling particularly adventerous you can log to a multicast address on
a clean private network. You could of course also get more websevers
which would spread the load of apache and therefore the amount of log
writing.

I currently get about 50GB of log files a day, and this is getting pretty
unmanagable, I am about ready to try dedicated logging machines now.

Tim.

--
He who laughs last, laughs at 75 baud.
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.