[tlug] Why is Shift_JIS bad?

Hello,

I need to explain to some PHBs why Shift_JIS
is no good. I know empirically that it is no
good: after 4 years coding in Japan I understand
reflexively that I will have lots of problems
when working with Shift_JIS, and very few problems
when working with EUC-JP or UTF-8.

But I don't understand the details of why SJIS
is bad, and I can't give a convincing explanation
of why I don't want to use it. Unfortunately,
"It just sucks, OK?!" is not working for me.

If anyone out there can point me to something I
could read which might arm me with the knowledge
necessary to banish SJIS from my projects, I will
be forever (or at least a few weeks) in your debt.

Thanks,

Ryan