Re: [tlug] Re: typing in Japanese (Red Hat 7.2)

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 01:07:40AM +0900, Graeme Jensen wrote:
> Forgot to mention one more thing.  I remember reading on some web page that I
> needed to run both canna  and WNN (and two other packages) to type in
> Japanese.

Nonsense. At least, if you're reporting accurately what the web page
said. Canna and WNN do more or less the same thing, and you usually only
need one or the other. If an application is able to use kinput2 as its
Japanese input method, then only kinput2 interfaces with Canna/WNN, and
it makes no difference to the application which you have. In that case
all you need to be concerned about is whether your version of kinput2
works with whichever input server (Canna or WNN) you're using. It can be
compiled to work with one or the other, or both. Judging from the
executable name, your kinput2 works with either Canna or WNN.

Now, there are certain applications that provide their own input
methods, and they may work only with Canna or only with WNN, but I don't
think that's very common these days. XEmacs-MULE has its own input method,
and *can be* compiled to work with only Canna or only WNN, but I'm pretty
sure that the standard binary distribution support both.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA