Re: [tlug] Server shows strange load and memory spikes

>From: Jim Tittsler <jwt-tlug@example.com>
>
>You still have (vixie-)cron running, and it is often
>(normally?) the one that does log rotation.  (On Redhat, by
>means of the files in /etc/cron.daily.)
>
>Check your /etc/crontab (and any /etc/cron.* directories/files).

You're absolutely right! I have the following entries in /var/log/cron.
Lo-and-behold it runs at 4:02am, exactly when I get that memory spike.

Aug 27 04:02:01 localhost anacron[5023]: Updated timestamp for job
`cron.daily' to 2002-08-27
Aug 27 05:01:00 localhost CROND[6527]: (root) CMD (run-parts
/etc/cron.hourly)

I thought that cron.daily and cron.hourly were used by anacron and not cron
itself. I guess not.

The directory cron.hourly is empty and cron.daily contains a 0anacron file
so I was sure that it was only used by anacron.

How can I check what jobs cron runs and when? I did a crontab -l but there
is nothing in that file except for theone mrtg job I run as root every 5
minutes.

How can I manually edit /etc/crontab? I tried crontab -e but all I get i my
own crontab file (root's) and not the system's. Is it safe to edit the file
itself?

Thanks for finding the reason for my memory spike.

Jc