Re: [tlug] Linux as a windwos media server

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> I'd like to use my Linux server as a streaming media server. Unfortunately
> all of the content (movies not audio) is in Windows media format. Does
> anyone know if it is possible to use a linux server to stream them out?
>
> I've Google around but the best I could find were references to streaming
> quicktime or audio mp3's, nothing about Windows media streaming.
>
> Thanks for any pointers,

hmm, maybe this isnt so hush as it was a while ago. RealServer9 is able to
stream windows media over mms, and there is a linux version available. The
player will also play wmp. Although it is a commerial product, you can stream
to 20 clients for free. Also Real have plans to do OGG at some point soon.

Tim.

--
He who laughs last, laughs at 75 baud.
Tim Hurman - Email: kano at kano.org.uk - Phone: Yeah right.