Re: [tlug] recommendations for a good pc shop in tokyo

Quoth B0Ti (Thu 2002-08-22 10:56:40AM +0900):

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 01:12:15 +0900
> Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:
>
> > If you're not a gamer, go for a Matrox G450 or G550 (and
> > if you were really a gamer, you'd probably be running
> > 'doze).  They don't measure up to the competition on 3-D,
> > but Matrox does the best 2-D and clearest, sharpest text
> > around.  My old 8 meg G200 card looks better than my
> > GeForce2 MX or my TNT 2.  G400/450/550 is better still.
>
> That's been true in the past.

And still is.

> I have been a Matrox fan for long for this reason and currently
> using a G450.

Then you are a smarter man than I. :(

> But now that ATI and NVidia cards have just as good (and official) driver
> support, I'll think twice before I get a Matrox next time.

The nVidia drivers for Linux are shit. They were causing my Athlon box
to segfault and lock up pretty often (like twice a week, which may be
nothing for Windows users, but I *demand* uptime in the thousands of
days! ;), and nVidia with not release the source, or the tech specs
for the damned card that would allow other people to write phat 3D
drivers for it.

I should have gone Matrox, and will next time.

> And that clearest 2D that Matrox was famous for is also a thing of
> the past according to some recent gfx card reviews.

Could you send me some links? I have heard no such thing.

> > I will be leaving Japan around the end of September and
>
> Lucky bastard! ;)

Are you kidding!? I would give my left, erm, nevermind, to go back to
Japan! And you don't like it? Please, let's trade! You come here and
be a BOFH for a Biotech company, and I will go to Japan and do
whatever it is that you do. What say you? ;)

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator
INCOGEN, Inc.