[tlug] Re: high load for pppoe w/B-Flets

On 8/18/2002, "Stephen Lee" <sl@example.com> wrote:

>Shimpei Yamashita <shimpei@example.com> wrote:
>> So I finally got my B-Flets connection working last week. Woo-hoo!
>
>What kind of service?  Is it fast?

It's FTTH service. The benchmark applet that NTT provides
shows that the peak performance is about 73Mb/s, with average of
somewhere around 66Mb/s. So yes, it's darned fast. In fact, I can't
think of a way to saturate it in normal home usage.

>> Am I better off buying one of those broadband routers that speak
>> PPPoE? [1]
>
>That should be easier to manage as you don't have to swap cables around.
>They are quite cheap nowadays (less than 15000 yen, less than 10000 if
>throughput is not a problem).  Or can you start 2 PPPoE sessions to your
>ISP from different PCs?

According to NTT's documents, it is indeed possible to have PPPoE clients
on
individual machines, like so:

PC#1 (PPPoE client) ----|

PC#2 (PPPoE client) ---hub-----FTTH modem---fiber optic---NTT---ISP

Mac  (PPPoE client) ----|

As opposed to having a PPPoE router, like so:

PC#1 (NATed) ----|

PC#2 (NATed) --router (PPPoE client)---FTTH modem---fiber
optic---NTT---ISP

Mac  (NATed) ----|

I'm still worried about the load problem in the former scenario.

Shimpei.

--
Shimpei Yamashita
shimpei@example.com