[tlug] Re: ADSL router configuration (Yahoo BB connection)

Graeme Jensen <magic@example.com> wrote:
> I've just installed a corega BAR SW-4P Pro Broadband Access Router.  I've
> connected an NEC windows 98 PC and another running Red Hat 7.2.  Before
> buying the router I had a connection using the windows box.  However despite
> following the makers instructions for the router configuration, and
> reinstalling Red Hat I can now only get a connection using linux.

I assume by connection you mean an internet connection (i.e. being able
to browse the web, use email, etc.)

1. Check your physical connection.

The ethernet from Yahoo!BB's ADSL modem should go to the WAN port, and
your PCs go to the LAN ports.  One of the LAN port is a switchable cascade
port, avoid it to make things less complicated.

Check that the Link LED for your windows PC is active.  If your PC has
LAN status LEDs too, check that they agree with the router's (10/100M,
half/full duplex).  If that fails, check your cables to make sure all of
them are Category 5 straight ethernet cables.

2. Check the router's configuration.

These should be the default setting, and should work with Yahoo!BB.

- Router gets WAN IP by DHCP.
- Router acts as DHCP server for LAN.
- PC configured to get IP automatically by DHCP.
- Router does IP masq between LAN and WAN.

The router will by default assign the PCs IPs in the 192.168.1.0/24
subnet.  The router has default IP 192.168.1.1.

3. Check Windows' configuration.

Run winipcfg on Win98 to check that you indeed got an IP assigned and it
is in this subnet.

Try pinging 192.168.1.1 from the Win98 PC to see if it sees the router.

> Is this something to do with SAMBA.  Must I use Samba to connect them?

Samba is not a requirement for connection to the internet.  However it
is probably useful for sharing files between you two LAN PCs.  I
wouldn't worry about it until you have finished setting up the Windows
PC's internet access.

> Or is it a providor problem.  Does Yahoo BB only allow one user?

Yahoo!BB seems to only assign one IP address by DHCP now, or at least
that was what happened when I last tried directly connecting 2 PCs.
 They used to give multiple IPs by DHCP before...

Anyway, that should not be a problem for you as the router would only
get 1 IP from Yahoo, so your 2 PCs only look like 1 from Yahoo's
standpoint.

If the above doesn't work, post more info (e.g. LAN's physical layout,
router settings, errors that you are getting, LED status, etc.)

Stephen