Re: [tlug] ISDN connection

On 8/14/2002, "Santiago Torres" <storres@example.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I installed Red Hat Linux at home and am having trouble with the
internet
>connection. I have an ISDN line and an Alexon TD-203 terminal adapter
(TA).
>I tried the usual setting in Linux, but none of the ISDN options worked.

Those are for ISDN modems in Europe and the US. ISDN TA's sold in Japan
act like ordinary modems, so read the TA's manual to find out what the
magic AT command is, and set up PPP like you would with a modem.
No special driver is necessary. You may, however, need to keep a Windows
partition around so that you can run the TA's configuration program,
without which you may not be able to configure some aspects of the TA.

If you have the money, I really recommend that you buy an ISDN router
instead. With these, you don't have to worry about connection strings
or Windows-based setup programs--you hook up your computer via Ethernet,
get your IP address using DHCP, and configure your ISDN connection using
a web browser. Dead simple. Try looking for a used one; many people are
getting broadband connections and ditching their ISDN routers these days.

Shimpei.

--
Shimpei Yamashita
shimpei@example.com