[tlug] Tokyo internships?

Hi guys...

I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place here...

I'm a career changer that's stuck in mid-transition.  I've got some certs
(A+, MCSE, CCNA), but unfortunately I'm a "paper guy" in a dry market, and
my chances for finding employment seems pretty dismal.

I've got credit card debt and student loans to pay back, and I'm thinking
about returning to Japan for work (I taught for a couple of years in
Fukuoka-- if I come back it'd be Tokyo).  I realize that the Japanese market
for IT professionals is probably as bleak as it is here, so I'd be returning
as a teacher, and continue studying on my own with an on-line course or two,
and maybe a class or two at Temple's campus.

I've looked around on-line, and I see that there are a number of English IT
groups in the Tokyo area (your TLUG, PC users, Java), but it seems that all
of those groups meet in the evenings, when I'd most likely be working.
Since I'd be free during the day, I'd love the chance to work / intern
somewhere (I wouldn't need to be paid... I just want the chance to get some
experience / continue learning).  And to complicate matters further, my
Japanese skills are limited to basic communication (I've gotta work on that
too).  I'll haul your racks, tote your bags... I'm hungry, and looking for
whatever opportunity might be out there.

Practical plan or pipe dream?  I realize that this is quite a reach, but
nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Thanks for your time, and any help /
information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Andy