[tlug] sed or perl script help please . . .

I have a large text file that unfortunately got line-wrapped or something in
the transfer and I would like to "undo" the line wrapping ..

Luckily each line was numbered in the original file so it should make my
task easier but
I've been trying for the last hour to come up with a sed script to concat
the lines together but can't seem to get it quite right.

I have a file that contains lines like this:

1 some
text with
C/R's
in annoying places
2 more text
with CRs
3 text text text
4 text text

I'd like to concat the lines that don't have leading numbers in to one long
line like this:

1 sometext with C/R's in annoying places
2 more text with CRs
3 text text text
4 text text

Can someone suggest a sed (or perl if it is better suited to this) script to
concat the lines?

Thanks!

Jc