Re: [tlug] Multilanguage environment and encodings

  Stoyan> Questions:  1. fonts - if I config Sylpheed with japanese
  Stoyan> fonts, i cannot read bulgarian (cp1251 encoding) and
  Stoyan> reverse. Is the UTF-8 the only solution? But I recieve emails
  Stoyan> with mixed encodings so can for example iconv be used to
  Stoyan> convert them to the common encoding (maybe some procmail
  Stoyan> recipe?) And how to enter texts? UTF-8 editor (xemacs?
  Stoyan> something else?) and iconv to cp1251 or jp?

My choice is exmh. I read without problems Japanese, Ukrainian/
Russian (koi8-u/koi8-r, cp1251, Macintosh Standard Cyrillic), UTF.
Basically anything else.

I have a page of my own about configuring exmh for multi lingual
environment. It's in Ukrainian, but since you're Bulgarian, probably you
can understand it:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~as9d-kvlv/Linux/exmh/EXMH-ukrainian.howto.html

For editing I use internal exmh editor 'sedit', emacs or yudit.
Depending on charset of the letter I'm replying to, exmh starts for me
either sedit/emacs (for English and koi8-*) or yudit with proper charset
(I found it's easier to start yudit from script for typing in cp1251
then to switch to another mode in emacs or switch keyboard).

As for the emacs and Ukrainian -- pity, but doesn't fully support
Ukrainian. So leim is no use for me.

--Dmytro.

PS I've tried sylpheed once, after reading some comments on TLUG,
after somebody mentioned that it's using mh folders structure. But
after using mh for so many years (through various mh-based clients:
mh-e, exmh, mh on command line), such poor mh-imitation in Sylpheed
almost killed me ;)

--
 Dmytro Koval'ov
 http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~as9d-kvlv