Re: [tlug] command line

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 01:09:09PM +0900, ayako kato wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, shane eastwood wrote:
>
> > if an OS is to be successful it has to be intuitive on a basic user
> > level, linux aint that yet.
>
> there's no such thing as an "intuitive" OS. if there was one, then MS
> ain't it. (i remember panic'ing after opening a DOS window on an NT
> workstation because I didn't know where to click in order to close it ...
> "oh, that X on the upper right corner!! thanks!" a real story, not so long
> ago...)

Yes, I think there is tendency to confuse what people have already learned
with intuitive.  Mac users will tell you that Mac OS is intuitive, but sit
a window user on a Mac, and watch them flail.  I personally still find command
line based interfaces more in line with my way of thinking, but then again I
cut my teeth on Dos, and unix before windows was in full swing. I would love
to see an intuitive OS, but I fear that in many ways that is impossible.
Right now, for better or worse[1], intuitive is associated with all that
windows knowledge that everyone has already been forced to learn. I really
wish I live in a world where 'bash-2.05$' was an 'intuitive' interface.

--Matt